Sunday, January 23, 2011

And the answer is....


Defying mathematical odds we somehow managed to get ourselves two more boys. As soon as they said, "Baby A is a boy." I knew that they were both going to be. I thought that A was a girl and B was a boy. That is precisely what Beckett thought even though I never told him my theory. He was very upset. When we told him he said, "No! I want to change. I want one boy and one girl." Every time we tell someone else he gets mad and tell us that he wants a boy AND a girl. Sorry dude. You and Daddy both are pretty broken up.

Now we get the fun question of are they identical or fraternal. Given their womb set up the doctor told us there's about a 25% chance that they're identical.

They are both growing well and measuring appropriately for their age of 20 weeks and 1 day as of the test day. They measured one day apart, one baby was a whopping 20 weeks and TWO days. However, at this point that is a pretty meaningless distinction since an unconscious muscle twitch while doing the ultrasound measurements will give you a days difference of growth. Evidently they stay about the same size until around 28 weeks and then generally one twin starts getting larger. (Unless you're some freaky symmetrical growth twins. You know who you are.) We are periodically seeing the perinatologist that followed Ciaran's growth since he knows the whole story. He was very pleased with the size and set up of the babies and all their test results and said he didn't need to see me again for a month. Great! I may start going every two weeks once we hit that 28 week mark, but the doctor is happy, as are we, with how everyone is growing and progressing.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats!! A brood of boys...or is it a murder of boys? :o) That's sweet how Beckett wanted a sister...maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally voted for two boys. Yay, congrats! 20 weeks already? You're halfway to two babies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double boy joy! We are excited to meet these little guys. So glad that all is going well and that they look great on the ultrasound. Take care of yourself and your "basketball team".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally surprised! I thought you'd have 2 girls!! Congratulations--4 boys will be fun!

    Mary P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it!! I just knew it would be two boys (though I was also secretly hoping for at least one girl your behalf). That is so funny about Beckett! I've never met a little boy who WANTED a little sister! My nephew didn't, but now that she's big enough to play with, he adores her.

    So, any names in mind, or are you keeping them secret?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I voted for! I can't wait to see what you name these guys, you two have a way of finding the perfect names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! Great news. You are now the mother of 4 boys!!! crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh. 4 boys, so much fun (and chaos, and energy, and adventures...=)

    SO excited for you and can't wait to hear more!! And I'm with Bre - I can't wait to hear the names!

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the plus side, you already have boy stuff.

    ReplyDelete