Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Old Friends and Old Lady Hair

Our friends Erin and Greg came to New York last weekend. They were some of our best friends in New York. I can even prove it. Here they are accompanying us to the Pickle Festival in October 2005.



Obviously they are lots of fun. We were so happy to go visit them. Also they have a cute baby boy Carson who's about a month older than Beckett and we wanted them to be friends. So it was quite a momentous evening. They had a great time playing at the hotel stealing remotes and toy telephones. Once again it was a battle of heft against agility. And once again, I think we have a draw.






Carson loves bread and it's really cute to see him wrinkle up his nose and make his talking noises to get some. I think he ate a whole loaf while we were there. We tried to share with Beckett but bread seems to be a food that shockingly Beckett does not like.





We also found time for a photo shoot. Erin takes beautiful pictures and I begged her to take some of Beckett. She put a couple on her blog and I'm stealing them and putting them here.





And here's our little stroller baby bundled up for the ride back to Jersey.



As you can see from the above picture Erin is beautiful and stylish. (I'm sure that pickle was in Vogue.) Therefore I wanted to impress her with my cute new haircut. So I decided to pull out the big guns--hot rollers. And as those of you with short hair cringe and can guess what's coming, keep in mind that even though it's been a few weeks since I cut my hair sometimes I still think in terms of long hair. Hot rollers were ooh la la two months ago. So I began getting ready for the night while talking to my sister on the phone. I excitedly started unrolling only to discover I have given myself OLD LADY HAIR!!!



As I screamed and assured my sister nothing was wrong with Beckett she encouraged me to take a picture so she could later laugh at my weird hair. Never one to shrink from public humiliation I complied. And here you go.







I ended up with a wet head and a headband. Disappointing.

9 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard right now! You are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I think you should do your hair like that every day - you can bring the old lady back into style!!
    Once, when my hair was super long (and I was super little) I decided I wanted curly hair, so I put curlers in my wet hair and went to bed. I was so excited the next morning to see the curls....turns out I had used perming rods and my now mid back length hair was up to the top of my ears. I spent the morning at school with very wet hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the pictures of Beckett- BEAUTIFUL!

    As for your hair, the first one is my favorite with you on the phone and looking soooo sixty years ago. :) Do your hair that way on Friday night!!

    Oh! And have I ever told you that Mayci HATES bread? I know! Our kids are weirdos and DESTINED to marry. Beckett's okay with an older woman, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally doing my hair like that today because how could you not love it. It made me miss Aunt Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man this is the funniest post! I seriously LOVE these last pictures. They are AWESOME. I really would have thought you were cool if you had just come that way! I am just finishing up those pictures and will email them to you today. There weren't tons of great ones because of the horrible light, but we got a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm, I guess I'm weird but I actually thought the hair was really cute! It looked a bit like pin curls which are always in on the Hollywood red carpet. I think you should give it another shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, those Beckett photos are beautiful! Dawnell, even thought it's funny, that first old lady hair photo of you if really pretty! You could so pull that hairsyle off! Just wear bright red lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a gal with above-the-shoulder-length hair, I too have had some interesting adventures with hot rollers. The best I could do (after excessive brushing) resembled a socialite coif, and as the day wore on, morphed into a pageboy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why did you go with a wet head when you had those great curls? I do think they were pretty on you! And, not old lady! And, I love the pictures Erin took of Beckett. I wish I could take beautiful pictures ... oh well.

    ReplyDelete