Monday, November 17, 2008

The return of the sewing machine


Last year my mother in law gave me an awesome Bernina sewing machine that she no longer needed. I used it to sew Beckett's Halloween costume last year, make some doll clothes, make a baby quilt, and various other little objects. However, I'd noticed that I kept getting a lot of knots all around the bobbin. Then I did what you're never supposed to do and sort of took it apart a little to get one giant jam out. After that it didn't quite feed as smoothly as before because I'd done something to how the feed dogs ran. But last week I found a little shop that does sewing machine repairs. I dropped it off and I just got it back today. It did need a whole new bobbin assembly thing so evidently my problems were not just that I am a completely inexperienced seamstress. The great thing was the repairman kept raving about the machine. "This is one of the best machine's Bernina ever made. It's like a Swiss watch, it will last forever. If you tried to get a comparable machine today it would cost two grand." I thought it was a really nice gift when I got it, I didn't realize it was that nice. So thank you Elaine for the great machine. As soon as I got home I put Beckett down for a nap and made him a pair of babylegs that I stole from my friend Jill's blog.

And here they are:
(Yes, I know Beckett's outfit looks ridiculous. Camoflouge and strips aren't the best combination, but we are not a modelling agency and I was not changing his clothes for this "photo shoot".)








11 comments:

  1. Babylegs Rule! Good to see our hard earned money is going to a machine to make such a cool outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Score! Nothing better than an awesome (free) sewing machine.

    PS... how come B looks so grown-up? It sorta makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawnell - those are adorable. I am
    sorry you won't be here for Christmas but we look forward to a
    possible February visit. I can't
    believe how big Beckett looks...what a doll.
    Chris - any prediction on a bowl bid for the U?
    Love you
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look how domestic you are! The baby legs are super cute, I didn't find out about them until Mayci was too old for them. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the babylegs, espcially on tiptoe. You are becoming so domestic! I didn't realize that you made B's cute halloween costume. You are amazing Dawnell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't make the candy corn. I made last years "money beet".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was under the impression that Chris thought baby legs were for girls only? Did pairing it with the camo make it manly enough to be worn by Beckett (who I must say is looking adorable these days!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep hanging in there. Love the legg'ns, I showed Elaine, said I too wanted a pair. She said, "not in this lifetime". Hope all is well. Love the place, lots of r o o o o o o m. Big change. Love to all- MTM

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift, I am just glad that you are so creative, then I have someone to glean ideas from!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the leggings!! His cute little legs look so stylish. He's so big, time flies, I miss you!

    Love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHAHA!!! Baby legs! I love them. SO freaking cute. When does he wear them aside from modeling?

    ReplyDelete