Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kitchen Dangers

Anyone who cooks, casual family dinners or more fancy fare, knows that the kitchen can be fraught with dangers. One should be wary of hot pot handles, steam burns, use only sharp knives to avoid cuts and many other rules. I try to follow these rules. I don't hold things I'm cutting, I go at a reasonable pace. However, no one told me about this danger so I wanted to pass the warning on to you.

Corn: The Unknown Assailant


I cut my thumb on an ear of corn. Not the "handle" of the corn as Chris thought. On the husk of the corn. I was shucking corn and pulled down on it and instead of pulling away from the ear my hand slid down it and it sliced my thumb open. Sliced. Bleeding profusely sliced. I injured myself on corn. Ridiculous.


This picture really doesn't do it justice. It was rather deep. And it stung like a mofo. Worse than a cardboard cut. Let this be a lesson to all of you when your thoughts run to garden fresh vegetables. I only hope my tomato plants don't turn on me.

5 comments:

  1. How scary! It makes me want to cut veggies out of my diet altogether...

    Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So like, a paper cut, but from corn, which would be a husk cut? Craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I sliced my finger open with one of our big kitchen knives Saturday and I think you cut's worse than mine. That's embarassing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mofo! LMAO! I have actually done that, but not as bad. So dang painful!

    ReplyDelete