Sunday, June 29, 2008

B sells sea shells down by the sea shore

We had a great time last weekend with Chris' parents. They came to town and we took a wonderful trip down the Jersey Shore. I felt like I was in the middle of a Billy Joel song. I had some misgivings about Beckett and the beach. And not just the general paranoid mother stuff of Beckett getting swept away to sea. (Although that did figure in.) Beckett hates dirt, and grass, and nature pretty much. I knew he loved baths, but I figured the vast stretch of sand in the way would destroy any fun he might have at the ocean. I was ever so wrong. He went nuts for the beach. He actively crawled along the tide line and let the waves lap at his hands and feet. And that was so much fun that he kept trying to crawl into the waves, therefore increasing his chances of being swept away. And I even managed to protect that fair skin for three days of beaching. (However all my good work was undone the day we went home. We stopped in at Philly and a couple of hours of popping in and out of sights sans sunscreen gave Beckett a sunburn on his arms. Lesson learned.)


We started him out in the kiddy pool which was great. We bought him that floaty crab boat and it was just right to give him balance, but the pool was shallow enough he could walk along on his own. He loved being mobile, yet lazy at the same time.


Look, he's happy on the beach. I guess sand is significantly different than dirt in his mind.
How cute is this surfer outfit he's wearing?


Beckett also developed a taste for seafood--and sand. He loved the salty sand and kept licking it off his fingers. If a wave splashed into his mouth he was in heaven.


I also have a taste for seafood. Yummy crabs!


Our hotel was right on the beach which was great. We could run right down there. The beach was so beautiful and clean.




This is the hotel pool. I feel it looks suspiciously like a coffin.



More beach. We saw this sand crab on the beach and George actually managed to catch it. It was a very impressive feat. Sadly he got pinched in the effort but we all enjoyed poking the crab with straws in Beckett's sand bucket.



Beckett got a free pinwheel in a Cape May gift shop. Score!


And here we are in Philly. Check out our little revolutionary.




And here's Beckett at Independence Hall. My arms almost fell off trying to take this picture


Stay tuned for Mystic Seaport and the Liberty Science Center.

6 comments:

  1. The beach is BEAUTIFUL! I'm glad you had such a nice time, I may have to call you about that hotel because Darren and I REALLY want to get away and want to go somewhere we've never been.

    Beckett is so freaking cute I want to die. The countdown is on for a get-together, we need to plan that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun Dawnell! I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be one of my favorite posts of yours ever. I was cracking up the whole way down! Are you serious?? Beckett eats the salt water?! And Sheldon has that same hat, and I think it is just too adorable. Oh, and your last picture is so cute and I totally understand the sacrifice-your-body-and-baby's-for-a-good-picture deal. Looks like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great time, Aiden hated the beach when we were down on the Mediterranean coast last week, but I totally know how it is hovering over a baby with a tube of sunscreen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crabs looked yummy, that bug floating crab boat was way too cool... and the thing about your revolutionary... well lets just have a darn revolution... revolution...la la la la la, revolution, la la la la la... its a new smashing pumpkins song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like so much fun! I love the picture of Beckett in Philly with the gun. And that crab boat looks AWESOME!

    Can't wait to hear about Mystic. I want to make a trip over there before the new baby comes.

    ReplyDelete