Friday, September 26, 2008

Glasses!



This will seem familiar to those of you I just emailed this too, but I feel so strongly about it I had to blog it as well.

All you glasses wearers and parents of children with glasses I HIGHLY recommend you read this article Chris found on Slate.com.

This is seriously the best deal EVER on glasses. No America's Best or Standard Optical sale can beat this. I just went through the process and purchased myself glasses online. I paid a grand total of $20.95 for the two pairs of glasses you see me wearing in the pictures. That includes the $4.95 shipping that is standard no matter how many pairs you order.

I used Zenni Optical and they arrived at our house in glasses cases with a little glass cleaner rag 9 business days after I ordered. I didn't get anything fancy like transition lenses or special coatings because these were mostly just for fashion and fun. I had a slight headache for the first hour after wearing them, but I think that was due to them being new. The rest of the night I was fine and I'm wearing them again today just to make sure. I drove Chris to the Path station in the rain wearing them this morning and didn't kill anyone so they seem to be working alright.

It seems kind of complicated, but it really isn't. Your eye doctor by law has to give you your full prescription, including pupillary distance, you own that and they can't keep it from you. Once you have all the numbers just plug them in. My prescription didn't have my pupillary distance and I just called the doctor's office and they gave it to me over the phone. I've also included a link as to how to do it yourself. If you need glasses I cannot tell you, nor do I need to, how much money these can save you. They're real glasses, they're not just reading glasses. This company and the others mentioned in the article have been vetted by many people (including me) and online forums who have had great success. No, they don't call your optometrist to check the prescription, so if you screw up it's your fault, but hey, that $8 glasses section is pretty big so I figured I could afford trial and error.

In case you missed those hyperlinks:

Slate article: http://www.slate.com/id/2198746/

This where I got my glasses, Zenni Opitcal: http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

How to determine your own pupillary distance: http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/2007/09/illusive-pd-and-how-to-wrangle-yours.html

Good luck, and happy glass buying. I'm going for green and blue pairs next. I may never wear contacts again!



4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'll have to keep this in mind next time Tom needs glasses. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited!! I love the glasses and you hair looks super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is seriously impressive. Great tip! And cute glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reading another friend's blog about how her kids BOTH needing glasses was putting a dent in her budget that she just didn't plan on, and I remembered your post here, so I sent on all this information. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete