Monday, July 6, 2009

Big Boy Bed


I arrived at the hospital this morning to find that as of shift change at 8:00am Ciaran graduated to a big boy bed.





He's out in the open air to see if he can maintain his temperature. As of the 11:00am and 2:00pm temperature checks he was doing great.

This is one part of the trifecta he needs to master before he can go home. I think we can safely cross respiration off the list. Then we tackle temperature maintenance and finally feeding. He is doing well coordinating the suck, swallow, breathe mechanics, but he gets tired. However he is moving up to "nippling" once a shift, meaning either I breastfeed him or he gets a bottle once a shift. This will be our biggest hurdle. He needs to continue to gain strength and endurance until he is nippling at every feeding. He still gets the majority of his feedings with the tube.

The amount he gets at every feeding has also been moved up to 40cc's. He kept waking up before his scheduled feeding and crying because he was hungry so they decided this kid wants more and upped his food. He's definitely happier now that his stomach gets even fuller than what is technically required. He's getting a nice belly even though his little bum is nonexistent. (I should know, I got to change 2 diapers today so I had a good view. Who knew the day would come when I'd be excited to change diapers.)

He also gets to wear clothes now!


In case you didn't believe Chris' twitter post that Ciaran is almost 4 pounds here he is attempting to wear the 4th of July hat I made him several weeks ago. Turns, out I made a yamaka. He just keeps growing. Hooray!



And just because I think Chris looks cute, here he is a couple of days ago with Ciaran.



And just because Beckett looks cute here he is when we went to the hospital Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Day!!! I love the pic of him in clothes it looks like he is waveing! I also love the Yamika he looks so mad to have it on. Thanks for the update! We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal for July is to read one of your posts without crying. Geesh!

    He is SO BIG! He looks so filled out and happy and content...could you ask for more? I'm so happy for his progress. That is HUGE news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh!!! Clothes for my dude! So cute. Reminder to self, must tell Utah relatives to hunt for Preemie Ute and Jazz clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is that he is truly a miracle. We are so happy that he continues to do so well. I'll be looking for "fan"atic clothes for him but doubt they make 'em preemie sized.
    P.S. Beckett looks so much like his daddy at 2 years old. All of this just takes my breath away! Love to all the Moons. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone told me the other day that they dressed their preemie in build a bear clothes. Brady got the Jazz jersy for his puppy the other day so I will tell my Mom to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad he is growing, even though he is still so tiny! I am loving the updates so keep them coming.

    PS good thing yamakas are so cool.

    ReplyDelete