Thursday, June 25, 2009

My baby doesn't suck

...and that's kind of a bad thing.


Ciaran had his first bottle feeding today. He really tried and it sure looked like he was chugging things down, but his suck actually wasn't that effective. He didn't get that much and he was getting tired so they ended up tube feeding him. We'll keep trying and see how it goes day to day. It is a step in the right direction that they let him try. He'll get more coordinated as time goes on. I was so used to him surpassing our expectations that I was a little sad at first, but he would have been 35 weeks today and 35 weeks is when babies start being able to coordinate the suck, swallow breathe mechanisms so he really is where he should be. His oxygen levels stayed good while he was trying to eat and that's great. He's doing well and gaining weight so we're pleased with his progress regardless.

2 comments:

  1. Yea!! You got to try. They wouldn't let my week try for 2 weeks after she was born (and she was born at 35.5 weeks). What a sweet boy! I hope he can figure it out soon! :)

    Mary P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi came across your journal entry while surfing for info. My baby was just born at 36.3wks and he can't suck as well. They are tube feeding him and won't let me bring him home which is so heartbreaking. How long did it take Ciaran to start sucking?

    ReplyDelete