Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Capitol Idea!





At the tail end of my sojourn in Utah I learned that the state capital building was finally being opened to the public. So my family decided we should go see what a quarter of a billion dollars worth of restoration looks like. Turns out you really can't tell, but I'm sure when some huge earthquake happens we'll all be grateful for the seismic retrofitting we can't see. The best part was that the guide said everything was open to the public unless there was a sign specifically noting that area was off limits. Well, as you can imagine I was thrilled at the news. And luckily I was with the perfect brother-in-law to test this theory. I think he and I tried every door in the entire building. Unfortunately I was attending to my baby when he accidentally walked in on a meeting. I was so sad I wasn't there. His kids were a bit of a drag sometimes though. They kept saying things like, "Aunt Dawnell maybe you shouldn't open that door." And, "I don't think you should go in there it looks like someones office." That was their mother talking. Actually they were super fun and we all had a great time.



Del the door wiggler and his lovely wife, my sister Jil, reliving prom.



My reluctant partners in crime Ainsley and Elizabeth.




Here I am chairing a committee. The motion for Aunt Dawnell to move back to Utah passed almost unanimously.




Beckett surveying his future gubernatorial office and desk made from a tree blown over in the tornado. Possibly made by convicts.



The state bordello waiting room. Or "Gold Room". Nice design tastes 1918.





Here I am addressing the house. Beckett would not stop filibustering! I was going to make it up to sit at the speaker's desk but some 15 year old volunteer told me I couldn't. Boo!



My colleague, Representative Bircher (I) from District 14 and I are both concerned about the amount of pork attached to the current bill.




Hmm, maybe the Senator's seat are better than the representatives'....





Their chandelier is definitely better.






Here we come to Chris' arena.



And we wait for his opening argument to begin.





Beckett in the press box. As you can see he is engrossed in the heated debate below.





And finally right below the cupola so you can see all the designs up close.



It was lots of fun even if we didn't get to see where they found the worker's body the day before. I thought it was Great Wall of China style, bones being put into the walls, but it turns out he just fell off of something. Still sad though. Bummer. I don't want to end on a sad note. So here's a picture of Beckett looking cute and happy.


Don't you feel better now?

6 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool. Is this a temporary all-access policy? I hope not; if it's still going on in the spring, it definitely makes it on our list of places to see on our annual trip out west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO feel better! Fun trip, and as always, I love your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rumor is that the Utah Capitol is basically the coolest state capitol in the U.S., and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Utahn. Definitely worth the trip. Oh, and Beckett is tooooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Beckett wouldn't stop filibustering. They can be so difficult at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun excursion! I love how the pics look like you and your peeps are totally trespassing. How daring! How thrilling! And I'm not sure what mlb_bobcats means with "annual" trip out West, seeing that trip No. 2 hasn't occurred yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We took a tour while we were there too! Although I spent most of it in Brad's mom's office nursing Ashton (she is a state senator) so I missed out.

    ReplyDelete