Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The newest member of the big baby club

I had my first day time appointment today. I figured since I didn't have to work I might as well go see them at 11:30 instead of 6:30. I finally asked how big they thought the baby was since they were not going to believe my very scientific 25 pound estimates. So when she measured me and listened to heartbeat she started feeling around to get an estimate of how big he was. Even though I haven't been measuring big she thinks he's at least 8 lbs. At one point she said that was being conservative! So it seems that whatever made all Mormons in New York get simultaneously pregnant and have boys has also made us all have huge babies. My three close friends who have all given birth within the last two weeks (one within two days) have had babies over eight pounds, one had an over 9 pounder! Armageddon must be coming in about 20 years since we seem to be growing an army of "large in stature" men.

It was the cool British accent midwife that I met with and she was pretty excited that he was so big. She loves big fat babies and was really positive about the impending birth and me giving him a good start by plumping him up. We don't want no scrawny babies! She kept saying nice things like my head was in the right place and she wasn't worried about me at all during labor. I guess this means I have proven myself to not be a whiner during my pregnancy. But it really was reassuring. She told me to drink red raspberry leaf tea and and have lots of sex and walk, walk, walk to work on getting the baby out. She's almost as excited to see the little guy as I am. She said if he's not out by my appointment next week they'll tell me some other things to try. I can only assume this means the dreaded castor oil or an enema. Yuck! She asked if I wanted an internal exam, but who wants an internal exam? Double yuck! So we'll save it until next week to see what they tell me about fun things like being dilated and effaced. I figured knowing won't necessarily make the baby come faster, but it could very well drive me insane making me think the baby should come sooner.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I can't wait to see Beckett. Greg thinks that is a GREAT name by the way. Good thing you guys are so cool! Who has had these large babies you speak of? I know alisha had hers but I can't think of anyone else...

    We miss you guys, keep up the good posting. Labor is so much better than I expected, although, I had the drugs....

    Chris you better be on the puter asap after he comes, so we can see tons of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! an 8 lb. baby would be a record for our family...so much for the newborn swaddler diapers. I just got off the phone with George and Alesa has beaten you to the punch! She is at the hospital as I type. She went to the doctor today and they decided to induce her because she was dialated and effaced and all that good stuff, plus she had such a hard time with Kayla that they don't want her to go any longer. When George gets home we will be heading to the hospital. We will keepyou posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just another side note - Jared swears that the sex, sex, sex thing is really effective! Evidently that's why our Jaiden was 3 weeks early.

    ReplyDelete